Wednesday, October 18, 2017

MEET THE AUTHOR - ANITA GREY


Welcome all.

Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Anita Gray author of BLAIRE Part 1 in the Dark Romance Series and BLAI2E Part 2 in the Dark Romance Series, coming soon

ME: Hi Anita, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
ANITA GREY: I'm from the pretty Kentish Garden of England in the UK, where the summers are getting hotter and the winters need to make up their minds. I loves books of all genres, tolerate rock music, and I hate TV without meaning.

ME: What genre do you write? 

ANITA GREY: Dark Romance

ME: What are you working on at the minute?
ANITA GREY: I am finishing up BLAI2E Part 2 in the Dark Romance Series

ME: Can you share a little of your current work with us?
ANITA GREY: BLAI2E is a psychological, suspenseful Dark Romance. My leading girl is kick ass and my hero is darker than the night.

ME: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
ANITA GREY: She doesn't exist yet

ME: While you were writing, do you ever feel as if you were one of the characters?
ANITA GREY: I do visualize every scene I write, that's likely why it takes me so long to finish a story.

ME: When did you decide to become a writer?
ANITA GREY: December 2016

ME: Which writers inspire you?
ANITA GREY: I am a big, BIG fan of Anna Zaires. Her writing style is classy and effortless, and her characters are touching. I'm also a classics kinda gal: Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, Jane Austen, and most definitely the Bronte Sister.

ME: Do you write on a typewriter, computer, dictate or longhand?
ANITA GREY: I write on a computer and a laptop. Mac all the way!

ME: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer to just see where an idea takes you?
ANITA GREY: Hmmm, a little of both, if I don't know where a story is heading, I'll just dive in, if I come to a brick wall, I'll outline a few things...

ME: Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors.
ANITA GREY: I read a lot, but mostly the classics. My favorite current authors are Jade West, Anna Zaires, Georgia Le Carre...

ME: What book are you reading now?
ANITA GREY: I just finished Dirty Bad Wrong by Jade West, and it got under my skin so bad I had to binge read it three times to get it out of my system, it was that fuc$ing good!

ME: Do you think that giving books away free works and why?
ANITA GREY: It depends on your marketing strategy. If it's first in a series, then yes, but you need to figure out how to ensure that reader will actually read it and not stockpile it in their kindle section of freebies. Also, I think handing out free copies to bloggers should be limitless. Some confuse the smaller bloggers with being insignificant when that is not the case at all. I think smaller bloggers work extra hard to get your book out there.

ME: How do you relax?
ANITA GREY: I don't. I'm wired 24-7 


ME: What is your favorite quote?
ANITA GREY: I'll sleep when I'm dead

ME: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
ANITA GREY: Write what YOU want to write, not what the market is or what others tell you. There might be a trend on at the moment, whether it be Forbidden Romance or Second Chance Romance, but that doesn't matter. YOU need to stick out in a packed market. I wrote BLAIRE part 1 for me, because the genre was missing something I was looking for in a read. Many told me to cut scenes, change my heroine, don't do this or don't do that - a very dear friend of mine who I adore said my hero deserved a Darwin Award LOL and now there is a hashtag trend #CharlieIsMine - but I went with my gut and the rest is history. I'd also say, have a marketing strategy before you publish: create the best teasers and do little $5 giveaways to get ppl to share, ARC's need to go out, at least 30 if you can manage it, give out as many copies as you can to bloggers (big or small, trust me, a blogger is a blogger and they'll likely become your best friend as a few have become mine), make friends with authors (because seriously, there are some amazing authors out there willing to help, you'd be surprised how many, and they're lovely, they're human like you) and ensure your release marketing plan is in place at least a month before you publish. Get your book buzzing so everyone wants to read it <3

ME: What does your writing process look like?
ANITA GREY: A year in the making LOL I'm a slow writer, because I like to enjoy the process, enjoy every word. Like I said, I write for me first. I'm my own biggest critique and if I don't like something, I sure know my readers won't, so I cut it and start again.

ME: What is your least favorite part of the publishing / writing process?
ANITA GREY: Editing

ME: Is there a certain type of scene that's harder for you to write than others? Love? Action? Racy?
ANITA GREY: It takes me longer to write intense scenes, showdowns, revelations, because I am an intense person, I like to know ever fuc$ing factor, what my hero's face looks like, ever expression, every touch...I want to be in that scene in that very moment, so I make it my business to transport my readers.

ME: Did you learn anything from writing your book(s) and what was it?
ANITA GREY: Kind of an oxymoron to what I said above, but I've learned that every detail can be irrelevant. Like I said, I'm an intense person and I want to know every faction, but at the same time, it's okay to write quick passages to get to the next scene/plot, so long as it's relevant information. If it's not, cut it.

ME: Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.
ANITA GREY: My friend Farah was my rock during writing BLAIRE part 1, and has been for the past 12 years of my life. My friend and Editor Eli has been my life saver during BLAI2E part 2, since I went in blind and had no idea where the story was going. She's been there day and night on the phone from across the Atlantic Ocean, and I know I must annoy the shit out of her but she loves me the same nonetheless. :-*

ME: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
ANITA GREY: Eh, Marlon Brando. I thought everyone wanted a piece of his ass?

ME: What is your favorite theme/genre to write about? 

ANITA GREY: Thriller Dark Romance

ME: What is your favorite theme/genre to read?
ANITA GREY: I am a big softie. A self-proclaimed TwiHard. Yep, I've admitted it and I'm not ashamed. I love LOVE romance, any romance, especially total devoted heroes.

ME: What secret talents do you have?
ANITA GREY: I think I know everything - ask my hubby - but I didn't think that was a secret LOL

ME: If you had a superpower, what would it be?
ANITA GREY: Teleportation, so I could see all my loved ones without missing time.

ME: Where is one place you want to visit that you haven't been before?
ANITA GREY: Singapore

ME: How can readers discover more about you and you work? i.e. Website: Blog: Facebook: Twitter: Lnkedin: Pinterest: Amazon Author Page: Smashwords: Book Links: (* American, UK, etc.) Goodreads. 
ANITA GREY:


TWITTER     INSTAGRAM      GOODREADS      AMAZON

ME: Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
ANITA GREY: I think I've pretty much covered it all <3

ME: Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview.
ANITA GREY: You're so welcome. Thank you for listening to me ramble.


3 comments: