Saturday, October 14, 2017

Meet the author - MARIE SAVAGE



Welcome all.

Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Marie Savage author of Tidings Of Comfort and Joy Book One of Holiday Love SeriesAnother Auld Lang Syne Book Two of the Holiday Love series releasing November 1, 2017

ME:  Hi Marie, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
MARIE SAVAGE: I was born and raised in the Florida Panhandle. Books were my best friends growing up and I was a daydreamer for as long as I can
remember. I looked forward to book fairs at school as a chance to buy those cutesy teenage romance books and I would go home and write my own. Even then I always dreamed of writing but thinking it was some just silly phase I was going through, I threw them away. (My biggest regret)
 I joined the United States Air Force a few years after graduating high school to broaden my horizons so to speak. I was stationed in the Central Valley of California where I married, raised a family and worked full time. I still read but I never wrote. I just felt I never had the time. 
I moved back to my southern roots back in 2014 and while taking a year break from work, I started writing again. The words and the ideas just started pouring out of me. I eventually had to find a job but now I find time to write almost every day.

ME: What genre do you write?
MARIE SAVAGE: Contemporary romance

ME: What are you working on at the minute?
MARIE SAVAGE: Book Three of the Holiday Love Series (no title yet) plus researching several other book ideas for 2018.

ME: Can you share a little of your current work with us?
MARIE SAVAGE: I smile as I think about Ben leaving early this morning in his workout clothes. Even though I found him sexy in his t-shirt and sweats, I wanted him naked and cuddled up beside me, as I tried to coax him back into bed. He was right, he had created a monster. The desire for his touch has my mind on one thing and it isn’t spending the day in a shopping mall.  Excerpt from: Another Auld Lang Syne. @copyright 2017 Marie Savage

ME: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
MARIE SAVAGE: Let's see. Stephen Amell (Arrow) as Ben Parker and Holland Roden (Teen Wolf) as Julie

ME: While you were writing, do you ever feel as if you were one of the characters?
MARIE SAVAGE: Yes, to a degree. I think each character has a certain characteristic of mine or people close to me. Julie in Tidings Of Comfort and Joy, is the girl of my youth.

ME: When did you decide to become a writer?
MARIE SAVAGE: When the kids were all raised and decided it's time for the next step in my life. Writing is something I enjoy, and if I am lucky enough to make it a full-time career one day, that's awesome. If not, well at least I know I tried.

ME: Which writers inspire you?
MARIE SAVAGE: I love Robyn Carr. Her Virgin River series is my all-time favorite. She draws you into her stories and you feel like you are actually there.  She is so talented, and hopefully I will get to meet her one day.  Janet Evanovich, is another favorite. How she can bring both romance and humor into her stories, she is an amazingly talented author.
A little closer to home is Nancee Cain. She has been like a mentor to me as I start my publishing journey. She is very talented and is always willing to offer advice and suggestions to me.

ME: Do you write on a typewriter, computer, dictate or longhand?
MARIE SAVAGE: Computer most of the time. Notebooks when I am at lunch for the day job. Sometimes an idea will hit me out of nowhere and I have been known to jot stuff down on a grocery store receipt.

ME: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer to just see where an idea takes you?
MARIE SAVAGE: I am really trying hard to be a plotter and not a pantser, but I do tend to just sit and let the voices in my head tell their story.

ME: Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors.
MARIE SAVAGE: Yes.  I have very eclectic taste in books. Some of my favorite authors are Robyn Carr, Janet Evanovich, Molly Harper, Adriania Trigiani and the list goes on and on.

ME: What book are you reading now?
MARIE SAVAGE: The Resurrection of Dylan McAthie by Nancee Cain

ME: Do you think that giving books away free works and why?
MARIE SAVAGE: I am still trying to figure this whole author thing out and while I would love to just give away books all the time, financially for me personally, it isn't something I can afford to do all the time. When you self-publish, all expenses are on you and trust me the expenses add up.

ME: How do you relax?
MARIE SAVAGE: Relax? What's that? I am what they call a type A personality so it is very hard for me to relax. Writing is as close to relaxing as I get.

ME: What is your favorite quote?
MARIE SAVAGE: "Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: This is the ideal life" Mark Twain

ME: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
MARIE SAVAGE: Write from your heart. Don't try to follow trends. Tell your story, and let the real you show in your work. If you decide to self-publish, learn all you can and always hire a good editor.

ME: What does your writing process look like?
MARIE SAVAGE: A jumbled-up mess. My computer on the kitchen table with notebooks and papers scattered nearby. Always a coffee mug beside me. I have a desk but I rarely use it.  It looks pretty though.

ME: What is your least favorite part of the publishing / writing process?
MARIE SAVAGE: Editing and writing blurbs.

ME: Is there a certain type of scene that's harder for you to write than others? Love? Action? Racy?
MARIE SAVAGE: The racy ones are a challenge. I try to stay the middle ground, not too racy, not too vanilla but it is hard. I like a good balance. Robyn Carr and Janet Evanovich have it just right, at least in my opinion.  I just hope one day I can master it as well as they do.  I just do my best to get hearts beating faster and not gross people out.

ME: Did you learn anything from writing your book(s) and what was it?
MARIE SAVAGE: Yes. There is ALWAYS room for improvement.

ME: Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.
MARIE SAVAGE: Nancee Cain. Without her friendship and encouragement, I might have just quit. She believes in me as well as my family. Their support keeps me going.

ME: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
MARIE SAVAGE: I would love to sit on a porch and speak with Mark Twain. I love his stories and his sense of humor.

ME: What is your favorite theme/genre to write about?
MARIE SAVAGE: I am very patriotic and I love my country and small-town America. Most of my books are going to be focused on that. I do love a good paranormal romance and down the road I have some story ideas that fit that genre.

ME: What is your favorite theme/genre to read?
MARIE SAVAGE: I love most genres as long as they involve romance. I do tend to stick to contemporary romance just because it is what I write.

ME: What secret talents do you have?
MARIE SAVAGE: I crochet and I'm a pretty good cook.

ME: If you had a superpower, what would it be?
MARIE SAVAGE: Humor.  I love to make people laugh.

ME: Where is one place you want to visit that you haven't been before?

MARIE SAVAGE: Hawaii.  My husband promised me one day.

ME: How can readers discover more about you and you work? i.e. Website: Blog: Facebook: Twitter: Lnkedin: Pinterest: Amazon Author Page: Smashwords: Book Links: (* American, UK, etc.) Goodreads.

MARIE SAVAGE:

FACEBOOK     TWITTER   

PINTERST      GOODREADS      

AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE      AMAZON   

ME: Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
MARIE SAVAGE: No.  Just thank you for the opportunity to share my crazy life.

ME: Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview.
MARIE SAVAGE: You're welcome and thank you for interviewing me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment