Saturday, October 21, 2017

MEET THE AUTHOR - REBECCA ROHMAN


Welcome all.

Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Rebecca Rohman author of:
Uncorked
Love, Lies & The D.A.
Love M.D.
A Problematic Love
Unravel
Love, Lies & A Bleu Christmas
The Painful Side of Love
Translating The Tides (Coming Feb 2018)

ME:  Hi Rebecca, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
REBECCA ROHMAN: I am a wife, writer and designer currently living in the northeastern United States. I was a sales manager for a tourist magazine, and for many years prior, I was involved in marketing for a jewelry company and fine wine distributor. While I spend most of my time writing now, I still do design work for my regular clients on occasion

ME: What genre do you write?
REBECCA ROHMAN: Romantic Suspense & Contemporary Romance


ME: What are you working on at the minute?
REBECCA ROHMAN: Translating The Tides

ME: Can you share a little of your current work with us?
REBECCA ROHMAN: This is the synopsis; I'll let it speak for itself.
When FBI Agent Robert Hunter loses his best friend in a luxurious Washington
DC hotel, he has only one thing on his mind—avenging his friend’s death. He just didn’t anticipate falling for the murderer’s daughter along the way…

ME: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
REBECCA ROHMAN: Maybe Zoe Saldana and Jordan Belfi

ME: While you were writing, do you ever feel as if you were one of the characters?
REBECCA ROHMAN: Sometimes. There's a bit of me in every character I
write so I suppose at times I do identify with them.

ME: When did you decide to become a writer?
REBECCA ROHMAN: My very first book, Uncorked, I started writing 15 years prior to its release just for fun. I was somewhere in my late teens. At that time, I had no aspirations of becoming a writer. It was purely to entertain myself. Then in early 2010, I made a big move, and all my files from my previous two or three computers were on an external drive. One night, I was looking for a picture of my grandfather I think it was and I realized the picture folder was missing. When I tried opening the rest of the folders, some opened, and the others were
blank. To cut a long story short, there I was, my whole life was on this external drive and I couldn’t get the files to open. My husband took it to a techie guy to see what he could salvage. Let’s just say I lost 90-95% of what was on the drive. And my only other option was to send the drive to the people who got info off of drives for the FBI at a mere cost of US$900.00. I am not a superstar best-selling author yet so I had to drown myself in an ocean of near tears over the files I lost—the family reunion pics I missed—including those of my grandad who had a stroke and later died and the list goes on.  Anyway… one night I was going
through the single CD the technician had salvaged. I kept hoping the missing folders might have accidentally moved into another folder (Dream on… wishful thinking) but there it was… A file, labeled—First Story, the book didn’t even have a name.  I had to share this news with my husband. He was working in his
home office. He’s a professor and had actually written and or participated in writing some text books.  When I walked in, he told me he had just gotten a royalty check payment that he was not expecting. That was when I told him about the file that managed to make it through the 5-10% of the drive that the technician was able to salvage.  I remember saying to him, “That file surviving through two computers and a major move is a sign, a sign that I need to finish this book.” And I did, Uncorked was released in 2013, since then Love, Lies & The D.A. in 2014, Love M.D. in 2015 and in 2016 I released my fifth novel, A Problematic Love, a novella, Unravel and Love, Lies & A Blue Christmas, a follow up novella to Love, Lies & The D.A. was released in November of that same year. In April of this year I released another follow-up novella to my Novel Love M.D. named,
The Painful Side of Love. Since I made the decision to finish that first book, I have not looked back. I love it—I love writing.

ME: Which writers inspire you?
REBECCA ROHMAN: None. I'm inspired by life, the news, human stories. Often, something I see will trigger or inspire an idea.

ME: Do you write on a typewriter, computer, dictate or longhand?
REBECCA ROHMAN: Computer and I keep a notepad by my bed when I go to sleep. I often get ideas when drifting off or when I wake so I keep a notepad handy.

ME: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer to just see where an idea takes you?
REBECCA ROHMAN: When I begin a book, all I know is the major conflict. E.g. An FBI Agent will fall in love with the daughter of the man who killed his
best friend. After that...the story tells me where to go.

ME: Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors.
REBECCA ROHMAN: I do, but most of my reading is research in preparation for my next book. I'm not sure I have a favorite author but I do like Julie James, her books usually make me laugh and I enjoy that.

ME: What book are you reading now?
REBECCA ROHMAN: Times Square by Jana Aston

ME: Do you think that giving books away free works and why?
REBECCA ROHMAN: I think it can work either way. Authors give away books and in the short term we hope to get a review from it but in the long term,
we hope to gain a new and loyal fan. While it does not always work out that way, it can, more often than not. It’s a great way to introduce new readers to our work with no financial risk on their end, when they might not have given it a chance because they had to pay for it. As with anything else, you win some and you lose some. But for an author who has multiple books, it is a great tool to get readers interested in our work.

ME: How do you relax?
REBECCA ROHMAN: In more recent times I was into all things design, whether it was interior, graphic, weddings etc. I love design. When I’m not
writing (in some ways, writing is a type of design) I’m most likely designing something—the odd graphic design job for an old client, a space in my home, an ad or teaser for my books.  One of the most fun things I enjoy designing is the spaces where the scenes in my books are set. I’ll start with the floor plans and go all the way to renderings of what the space will look like. I also love painting and photography, neither of which I make enough time to do.

ME: What is your favorite quote?
REBECCA ROHMAN: “What goes around comes around.” And, “Let your conscience be your guide.”

ME: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?REBECCA ROHMAN: Never give up. Always be willing to learn and never let someone’s negative opinion of you become your reality.

ME: What does your writing process look like?
REBECCA ROHMAN: When I start a book, all I know is the major conflict in the book e.g. A District Attorney will fall for the murder suspect that he’ll be taking to trial. That’s it. The who, what, when, where and how it unfolds, comes to me as I write the story.
Beyond the conflict in the book, I spend as much time doing research, as I do writing. I read a lot, but not necessarily novels. Whether it is the law, history, the places in which the scene is set, or medical issues that might arise, all the details in my books are thoroughly researched.
Some of my books have even been inspired by pieces or true stories that I’ve read about and I find a way to weave a romance into those stories.

ME: What is your least favorite part of the publishing / writing process?
REBECCA ROHMAN: Marketing. I enjoy everything about writing—plotting, the research etc. It’s what we authors have to do to get our names and work recognized that I don’t like so much.

ME: Is there a certain type of scene that's harder for you to write than others? Love? Action? Racy?
REBECCA ROHMAN: Emotional scenes. The scenes where I want the reader to cry are the hardest for me to write. 


ME: Did you learn anything from writing your book(s) and what was it?
REBECCA ROHMAN: I learn a ton—too much to include here. My books are heavily researched and because of that, I've learned a lot about the law, medicine, other countries and cultures, just to name a few.

ME: Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.
REBECCA ROHMAN: There as a small core group of my fans who have supported me, many of them from day one.  I will always be eternally grateful for the support they give me both publicly and privately every day.

ME: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?REBECCA ROHMAN: Rafael Nadal. I LOVE TENNIS and he is my favorite tennis player of all time. I love his drive, his passion for life and the sport. But probably what I love about him the most is his immense humility despite or in spite of his success.

ME: What is your favorite theme/genre to write about?
REBECCA ROHMAN: I don't follow a theme so to speak in my books, but the genre would definitely be Romantic Suspense.

ME: What is your favorite theme/genre to read?
REBECCA ROHMAN: Contemporary romance and romantic suspense.

ME: What secret talents do you have?
REBECCA ROHMAN: It wouldn’t be a secret if I told you ;) lol.

ME: If you had a superpower, what would it be?
REBECCA ROHMAN: To instantly help people in need. Whether the need, is food, clothing, shelter, health whatever. There is just no shortage of need in the world, I just wish I had the power to help everyone instantly all the time, even remotely.

ME: Where is one place you want to visit that you haven't been before?
REBECCA ROHMAN: There are several on my bucket list: France, Italy, Austria, Australia and Brazil are probably at the top of that list.

ME: How can readers discover more about you and you work? i.e. Website: Blog: Facebook: Twitter: Lnkedin: Pinterest: Amazon Author Page: Smashwords: Book Links: (* American, UK, etc.) Goodreads.
REBECCA ROHMAN:

WEBSITE      BLOG      FACEBOOK PAGE

TWITTER     GOODREADS      BOOKBUB

PINTEREST     YOUTUBE    GOOGLE+

ME: Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
REBECCA ROHMAN: Thank you for featuring and promoting authors and our work on your blog and page.

ME: Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview.
REBECCA ROHMAN: Thank you for allowing me to participate :)


1 comment:

  1. Love this Victoria. I really appreciate you taking the time to put this wonderful post and interview together :)

    ReplyDelete