Wednesday, November 29, 2017

MEET THE AUTHOR - AJ STORM


Welcome all.

Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing AJ Storm author of Dark Strangers, Alexander's Story, The Power of Two, Emily's Passion, Right of Passion, Fortune's Eyes, Fortune's Daughter, The Blood Rose, and Danny's Heat coming at the end of the year.

ME: Hi AJ Storm, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
AJ STORM: I’m AJ Storm and I write erotic dreams in all genres.
I’m an avid reader of BDSM, erotic paranormal romance, and murder/mystery books. I am particularly fond of vampire and shifter stories. Currently, I live in the Midwestern part of the United States with my husband and my two-year-old Chocolate Labrador Retriever. I’m a 65-year-old grandmother of six, a mother of two, and a wife to the same man for 42 years. Most of my life, I’ve been a writer, but just not of books. Essays, book reports, letters, and short stories were my expression of self. My real talent appeared in high school when I got my first guitar and wrote music, lyrics, and sang. Love songs helped me release my Passion.
Marriage and raising children cut down on my free time, so the guitar sat in the corner voiceless. In 2006, I discovered voices waking me in the middle of the night telling me their stories, and when I finally listened, I wrote them down. That was how Emily’s Passion came about. It’s the story of my life, but also part fiction. And so, here I am today with eight published books and one about to be released.
I love writing and sharing my fantasies with others through the written word. I love making people lose themselves in a story and feel the emotions.

ME: What genre do you write?
AJ STORM: Paranormal romance, murder/mystery, women's fiction

ME: What are you working on at the minute?
AJ STORM: Currently, it's titled Hunting Season, but it may change.

ME: Can you share a little of your current work with us?
AJ STORM: It's the story of a middle-aged Choctaw woman who's father hires a 45 year old ranch hand to help her run the ranch so she can date, go out with friends, etc. and stop living like a man. Needless to say, she's pissed and doesn't want him there.

ME: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
AJ STORM: Playing the part of Griff - Mark Harmon

ME: While you were writing, do you ever feel as if you were one of the characters?

AJ STORM: Always, I get pulled into my characters and their story. They talk to me and become like family.

ME: When did you decide to become a writer?
AJ STORM: I've always had the ability to put my thoughts and emotions down on paper. Five years ago, I was encouraged to write a novel and Dark Strangers was born.

ME: Which writers inspire you?
AJ STORM: There are so many....my top two would be J.R. Ward and Cherise Sinclair

ME: Do you write on a typewriter, computer, dictate or longhand?
AJ STORM: Longhand and then transfer to computer. I can correct or edit when I do that.

ME: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer to just see where an idea takes you?

AJ STORM: My characters talk to me. They tell me their stories and I write them down. They even get angry when I don't follow where they’re going and then they go silent until I make the change.

ME: Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors.
AJ STORM: I love to read. Currently, I read Debbie Zello, Faith Gibson, Thia Finn, Hilary Storm, R.B. Obrien.....I have hundreds on my Kindle I haven't gotten to yet. There are tons of good authors out there.

ME: What book are you reading now?
AJ STORM: Only Pleasure by Lora Leigh

ME: Do you think that giving books away free works and why?
AJ STORM: Truthfully, I haven't made up my mind about it. I've read comments on both sides of the issue.  I think an occasional free book is okay, but I don't make a habit of it.


ME: How do you relax?
AJ STORM: Listen to music on headphones and reading

ME: What is your favorite quote?
AJ STORM: "Mine"  That one word fills me with hope, need, and passion. To have someone so into you that he holds you and growls mine....It turns me on.

ME: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
AJ STORM: Something that I'm continually learning.  Never Give Up.

ME: What does your writing process look like?
AJ STORM: First, I put on my headphones and turn on my playlist of music I've chosen to write to. I use a yellow pad and a pilot gel pen to write the stories given to me by my characters. Then, I transfer them to my computer while I do a first edit as I'm transferring. This continues until I write The End. I have two or three beta readers who read and offer comments and suggestions.


ME: What is your least favorite part of the publishing / writing process?
AJ STORM: The Blurb--I hate writing them and I'm not good at it. I end up retelling the story.

ME: Is there a certain type of scene that's harder for you to write than others? Love? Action? Racy?

AJ STORM: Not really. I don't have a problem because it's not my story--it belongs to my characters. Sometimes my readers get upset with some of the outcomes, but I have to write it as they dictate it.

ME: Did you learn anything from writing your book(s) and what was it?
AJ STORM: The one thing that I'm continually learning is that I need to write for myself and not my readers. By that I mean, the story needs to be written for me and my characters (staying true to the story) and not focus on popularity or acceptance. If a book doesn't sell well, then it doesn't. I just know that I've done the best I could do and have written one hell of a book.

ME: Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.

AJ STORM: My PA is #1. She works her butt off and puts up with my craziness. My beta readers are next and are always supportive.

ME: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
AJ STORM: I would like to sit down with Stephen King and talk about all aspects of writing and publishing. Not particularly about horror but about the industry in general.

ME: What is your favorite theme/genre to write about?
AJ STORM: Has to be paranormal. I love it and I read a lot of it.


ME: What is your favorite theme/genre to read?
AJ STORM: I love all genres as long as they have interesting characters and plots. Romance of any kind is my favorite. I love a good love scene.

ME: What secret talents do you have?
AJ STORM: Play guitar, sing, write music, tole painting

ME: If you had a superpower, what would it be?
AJ STORM: Flying....I want to soar over everything and feel the wind whooshing over my body.


ME: Where is one place you want to visit that you haven't been before?
AJ STORM: Hawaii

ME: How can readers discover more about you and you work? i.e. Website: Blog: Facebook: Twitter: Lnkedin: Pinterest: Amazon Author Page: Smashwords: Book Links: (* American, UK, etc.) Goodreads.
AJ STORM:

AMAZON    

FACEBOOK   


GOODREADS    

INSTAGRAM    


ME: Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
AJ STORM: I can't think of anything else. The only thing would be to encourage readers to leave a review if they read the book. Authors need that feedback.

ME: Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview.
AJ STORM: Thank you very much for having me.


No comments:

Post a Comment