Wednesday, February 7, 2018

MEET THE AUTHOR - JOZ MAXEL

Welcome all.


Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Joz Maxel author of My Absolution and Under The Rising Sun.

ME: Hi Joz Maxel, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
JOZ MAXEL: I'm from Western Canada, married mother of three. I'm a full time domestic goddess, part time BLS instructor and conductor on this crazy train in the Indie World.

ME: What genre do you write?
JOZ MAXEL: Contemporary

ME: What are you working on at the minute?
JOZ MAXEL: Under The Rising Sun

ME: Can you share a little of your current work with us?
JOZ MAXEL: We just finished the afternoon game, and as we came out of the showers and started packing up our shit, the team was discussing where to eat before that night's game. Brian is talking to Christian about bringing Aubrey, again, to our team meal. My agitation towards Chris and Aubrey are at an all time high at this point. There's only so many times I can watch Aubrey drape herself over Christian, especially after realizing my feelings towards Christian were more than the friendship level.
            Throwing a towel at my face to get my attention, Brian chuckles.
            "Earth to Rourke. You good with Fat Burger or what, dude?"
            "I'm not hungry. I'll grab something quick and eat in the room."
            "What? Don't be an asshole. There's no 'I' in team, jerk. C'mon we can ride together." Christian replies as he looks at the others and smiles.
            Shoving the last of my equipment into my hockey bag I swiftly close my bag, throw it over my shoulder, and start making my way to the door.
            "Rourke, c'mon. What gives?"
            "Nothing, I'll catch you guys later." Giving them the finger on my way out, I catch up with the coach, whose willing to give me a ride to the hotel.
            Slamming the door behind me, I throw myself on my bed and drape my arms over my eyes. Too busy berating myself in my head, I don't hear the clicking noise of the door closing as I stand up to go the washroom. Christian makes his way to stand a few feet away from me.
            "You wanna tell me what that was about?"
            "Not feeling good."
            "That's bull shit."
            "Chris, really, go hang with your girlfriend. I'm fine."
            Trying to pass him, he grabs my arm. "You have a problem with Aubrey? You've been acting weird around her lately?"
            "Trust me, Aubrey is not the problem."
            "Then tell me what's going on with you? You like her?"
            "It's not like that."
            "If you like her, it's okay."
            "Chris, just leave me alone. I need some space."
            "From me? Why?"
            "I just do."
            I pull my arm from his grasp and take a few steps towards the bathroom.
            "Dude, you're my best friend but if you have an issue with Aubrey, we gotta talk this out."
            "Jesus Christ, Chris. It's not her, trust me."
            "Then what the fuck is the problem?"
            "It's me, okay! I'm the problem. I'm the fucking issue."
            "Rourke, what..."
            Taking two strides to stand toe to toe with him, I take a quick, shallow breath before speaking.
             "I have feelings for you and I don't know what to do about it! There, you fucking happy?"
            I suddenly feel like the room is spinning. I lean up against the wall and close my eyes.
            "What kind of feelings?"
            I make a fist and start lightly pounding the wall beside me. "Please just go."
            "I'm not going anywhere. What feelings, Rourke?"
            Lifting my head, our eyes connect. "The crazy, hormonal, teenager in love kind."
            Christian looks down and starts to pace in front of me. "Since when?"
            " I don't know. Around the time you and Aubrey started dating."
            He stops pacing. "That's over a year ago. Why didn't you say anything before?"
            "I didn't know how to process what I was feeling at the time. I still don't."
            Looking up at me, he asks, "You like me, like me?"
            "Yeah."
            "I, ummm..."
            "Just forget I said anything. I don't want things to be weird between us."
            "How can they not? My best friend just told me he has feeling for me?"
            "Go have some fun with Aubrey. You'll forget all of this soon."
            He stands in front of me, toe to toe, chest to chest. "What if I don't want to?"
            Now I'm the one who's in shock. "Come again?"
            "I've seen the way you've looked at me. How you've been trying to distance yourself from me."
            His gaze drops to my lips, making my mouth go dry.
            "Can I be honest?"
            Not being able to form words, I nod my head.
            "I think I wanna kiss you right now."
            Clearing my throat, I stand up straight. "I get your in shock with all this but don't toy with me."
            He takes a deep breath, slowly and gently places both his hands on either side of my face, and      leans in. "I'm not toying with you." And then his lips are on mine. It's a feather light touch filled with either uncertainty or curiosity.
            It isn't until my hands are placed on his hips, he starts to deepen the kiss. The pressure becomes more firm, and the urge to tug on his lower lip with my teeth mounts. I open my mouth slightly to graze his lip and he takes it as an invitation to slide his tongue in mouth.
            And I accept with enthusiasm.
            The kiss becomes frenzied with angry tongues and clashing teeth. His body is pressing into mine and I can feel his growing attraction down below.
            "What the..."
            We both pull away and see Aubrey, standing in the doorway, frozen in place, with the door still open. Chris drops his hands to his sides and backs up a few steps, losing the flushed look almost instantly. Now he just looks grey.
            "Aub, I can explain."
            She closes the door and takes two steps inside. "Explain what? That I just caught my
boyfriend kissing his best friend?"
            He turns to me with a look of anguish. "Can you, ummm, give me a few minutes with Aubrey?"
            I grab my room key and wallet from the television stand. "Sure."

ME: Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
JOZ MAXEL: Adam Senn and Brent Antonello,

ME: While you were writing, do you ever feel as if you were one of the characters?
JOZ MAXEL: Not for Under The Rising Sun

ME: When did you decide to become a writer?
JOZ MAXEL: October of 2016, I took the plunge but in my younger years I wrote stories like movie scripts.

ME: Which writers inspire you?
JOZ MAXEL: AC Bextor and every writer that takes the chance to put themselves out there whether they are veterans or newbies like me.

ME: Do you write on a typewriter, computer, dictate or longhand?
JOZ MAXEL: Computer

ME: Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer to just see where an idea takes you?
JOZ MAXEL: I have an idea of where I want the story to go but I just go with it.

ME: Do you read much and if so who are your favorite authors.
JOZ MAXEL: I use to read all the time. Callie Hart, Lili Saint Germain and AC Bextor are my all-time favs but I have many favorites or "go to"

ME: What book are you reading now?
JOZ MAXEL: Try by Ella Frank

ME: Do you think that giving books away free works and why?
JOZ MAXEL: Yes and no. It gets your name out there but if people don't leave reviews or spread the word they are getting free stuff for the sake of it.

ME: How do you relax?
JOZ MAXEL: What's that?

ME: What is your favorite quote?
JOZ MAXEL: "Love your face."

ME: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
JOZ MAXEL: Should have no room for self-doubt...just write.

ME: What does your writing process look like?
JOZ MAXEL: I have an idea and I start writing. And then scenes come at me and I write them down as they come and then I piece it together as I go.

ME: What is your least favorite part of the publishing / writing process?
JOZ MAXEL: Finishing and making sure it flows. I write out of order so making sure the facts and details make sense...I don't see the story for what it is until it's published.

ME: Is there a certain type of scene that's harder for you to write than others? Love? Action? Racy?
JOZ MAXEL: Sex scenes...love reading them...hate writing them

ME: Did you learn anything from writing your book(s) and what was it?
JOZ MAXEL: Going at it alone doesn't work. I have an awesome PA that manages everything for me, so I have time to dedicate to just writing and taking care of my family. I would have stopped a long ass time ago if I was on my own.

ME: Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.
JOZ MAXEL: Donna Marie Benton...she is my GOD. And many bloggers, friends both in the book world and in person. I love everyone that has supported me.

ME: Which famous person, living or dead would you like to meet and why?
JOZ MAXEL: James Dean because I had a small obsession with him in my high school years. Read many books on him. Find him very fascinating.

ME: What is your favorite theme/genre to write about?
JOZ MAXEL: Contemporary angsty romance

ME: What is your favorite theme/genre to read?
JOZ MAXEL: Dark

ME: What secret talents do you have?
JOZ MAXEL: I can tell you what I plan to make for the next week in supper but ask me what I did yesterday I have no clue

ME: If you had a superpower, what would it be?
JOZ MAXEL: The ability to cure the sick and injured

ME: Where is one place you want to visit that you haven't been before? Why?
JOZ MAXEL: Fiji. Because that is where I will learn to relax.

ME: How can readers discover more about you and you work? i.e. Website: Blog: Facebook: Twitter: Lnkedin: Pinterest: Amazon Author Page: Smashwords: Book Links: (* American, UK, etc.) Goodreads.
JOZ MAXEL:





ME: Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
JOZ MAXEL: Thank you for taking a chance on me.

ME: Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview.

JOZ MAXEL: Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment